Recording Sessions for Makaveli album XXL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording Sessions for Makaveli album XXL

If you haven’t checked out the September XXL yet I suggest you do because the 11 page article on the Makaveli recording sessions is pretty dope. The article interviews Darryl Harper, QDIII, Napoleon, E.D.I., Tyrone Wrice (p/k/a "Hurt em' Bad"), Young Noble and Lance Pierre. It’s organized track by track and for each song (just about) everyone says something, how it was made, where the idea came from, who did what etc. Here’s some of the stuff said:

-The beats and vocals for 20 songs were laid down in three days. It then took an additional four days to mix the songs (a week total).
    -2pac was deliberately not fucking with Jonny J because he (JJ) was experimenting with new sounds that 2pac and co. didn’t like.
    - Darryl Harper and Tyrone Wrice were no-name producers on Death Row who worked with the small acts and R&B artists on the label who wouldn’t be likely to release albums. They worked in the smallest section of Cam Am studios called the Green Room, which was dubbed the “Wack Room” by everyone else because, as EDI said, “nothing but wack shit come out of there.” One day there wasn’t any producers in the studio so 2pac told the Outlawz to bring in whoever was in the “Wack Room” they did and 2pac put them to work.
    -2pac came up with the melody for “Bomb First” on a grand piano that came with his new house.
    -“Hail Mary” took about 30 minutes to complete. The beat took 10-20 min and the lyrics took 15. 2pac’s favorite part about the song was Kastro and Noble.
    - The beat for “Toss it Up” was originally done by Dre who left it when he bounced from DR. Suge held onto it and gave it to Danny Boy and Jodeci to use for a song. 2pac later came in and added his vocals over the song which they had already finished.
    -After recording “Blasphemy” 2pac and the Outlawz drove home listening to it and 2pac really bugged out at the shit he rapped about, saying “I don’t know where the hell I come up with this shit.”
    -“Just Like Daddy” was meant to be released on an Outlawz album.
    -The Outlawz all wrote verses for “Me and my Girlfriend” but when ‘Pac heard what they wrote he said none of them were good enough to get on.
    -2pac basically co-produced the entire album, most of the time he would hum the notes he wanted to the producers and give them the ideas from samples and in some cases he actually worked the equipment himself.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X