Is Russell Simmons A Republican?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Russell Simmons A Republican?

Russell Simmons has recently endorsed New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg for re-election at a Bronx rally.

Simmons noted the Republican mayor's record on poverty and homelessness. Following the rally held inside a Co-op City auditorium, Simmons added that he didn't receive promises from Bloomberg in exchange for his support.

"I don't trade, I don't need anything political," Simmons told Newsday. "I need to see somebody go make a bunch of decisions, not only the ones I'm involved in."

Simmons' support came after months of talks between the two parties. The two had a meeting at the mayor's mansion this summer. Though he now has Simmons' support, the mayor admitted to disagreeing with the mogul in the past.

"Yes, it is true, over the last four years he's been on the steps of City Hall politely screaming at the mayor," Bloomberg told the crowd. "I always shake my head as I walk by but we always stop and chit-chat."

Simmons has previously rallied against the Rockefeller drug laws, citing that the long mandatory sentences imposed on drug offenses are too harsh. The laws were reduced in 2004 following a lengthy campaign that included rallies and protests featuring high profile Hip-Hop artists.

The co-sign marks Simmons' first endorsement of a Republican. Yet, the Queens native cannot vote in the New York mayoral election because he now lives in Saddle River, N.J.

In September, Simmons and his Hip-Hop Summit Action Network held the second New Jersey Hip-Hop Summit promoting voter registration. Simmons was joined by Jim Jones and Reverend Run at the summit in Trenton.

Source: sohh.com

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X