Murder Inc Trial/Day 5: Defense Promises "Brand Spanking New Evidence"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Murder Inc Trial/Day 5: Defense Promises "Brand Spanking New Evidence"

Before federal prosecutor Carolyn Pokorny resumed her examination of New York Police Detective William Courtney during the afternoon proceedings of day 5 of the Murder Inc trial, defense lawyer Gerald Shargel proclaimed he has "brand spanking new evidence" to admit into the case.

Shargel's new evidence is expected to center around the prosecution's star witness, Donell Nichols, who will be asked to reappear on the stand Tuesday morning. Nichols, a former Murder Inc staffer who testified previously that he had witnessed convicted drug lord Kenneth "Supreme" McGriff dropping off a plastic bag full of money in the office of Chris Lorenzo "Gotti," is expected to once again be cross-examined about this particular testimony according to SOHH.com sources close to the case.

Before the prosecution rested their case at 5:15 pm, they sorted through numerous text messages and bank statements with the 43-year-old police detective. The text messages, said Pokorny, were intended to show the "intimacy" between the Lorenzo brothers and McGriff and also to show a money laundering evidence trail.

Prosecutors highlighted one text message conversation between Irv and McGriff that took place on December 6, 1999. In it, Irv writes "I need that; Ja needs his share... its Christmas time." McGriff replies, "I'm putting it together now, I'll have it to you shortly."

This defense quickly responded, attacking the context of the messages during cross-examination. Shargel argued that the prosecution had intentionally left out crucial text messages that would clarify the discussion. Shargel then began to read text messages from McGriff's pager from a few months prior to the previously mentioned one. The first text message was on October 12, 1999 and read, "What's up with Ja, its $25,000 for 16 bars." Another message presented by the defense was from McGriff to Ruff Ryder Records CEO Darrin Dean which read, "Yo, D I'm trying to set a date and price for Eve."

The defense explained that around this same time in early December of 1999, Ja Rule and Eve performed at a party promoted by McGriff at Club Amazura in Queens, NY. The defense argued this discussion between McGriff and Irv on December 6 was about money owed to Ja from this performance and had nothing to do with money laundering.

Before the jury was released for the day, Shargel stated he expects to rest his case at some point during Tuesday's proceedings. A verdict is expected to be reached no later than Wednesday.

Source: sohh.com

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X