Mos Def Short on Child Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mos Def Short on Child Support

Mos Def spent his Valentine's Day yesterday at a court hearing over child support payments for his two daughters.

According to the New York Post, when Mos (born Dante Smith) filed for divorce from his wife Maria Yepes-Smith, he was initially ordered by a judge to pay $10,000 per month in child support for the couple's two daughters, age 7 and 8. The order went into effect on January 1, but so far both of his payments have been short by about $2,000.

"It's the best he can do under the circumstances," Steven Goldfeder, Mos Def's lawyer, said during the hearing at the Brooklyn Supreme Court. "He has several children. He's always provided for them."

Goldfeder told the judge that Mos has three other children, and also argued that his client's payment should be reduced because Yepes-Smith has failed to deliver on her promise to home school the children.

When Judge Sarah Krauss asked Goldfeder why the Def Poetry Jam host had not complied with the order, Mos Def interjected, "I'm the only person who's providing for my children."

"Please tell your client not to talk anymore," Krauss then told Goldfeder, before recommending he file an amended claim to specify grounds for divorce.

While Yepes-Smith declined to comment outside of the hearing, her lawyer Karen Blaustein expressed doubt about his inability to pay up. "I've been seeing him in these commercials with Bruce Willis for his new movie. I'm sure he made enough money to pay his child support for his 7-and 8-year-old daughters."

The Brooklyn native is starring alongside Willis as a key witness in a corruption case in the action film 16 Blocks. The movie is scheduled for release next month.

In related news, Mos will also be featured alongside Kanye West, The Roots and Talib Kweli, among others, in Dave Chappelle's Block Party.

Source: sohh.com

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X