Despite Leak, Lupe Fiasco Plans To Deliver "Food & Liquor" On Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Despite Leak, Lupe Fiasco Plans To Deliver "Food & Liquor" On Time

Lupe Fiasco's buzz has only been heightened by the recent leak of his debut, Lupe Fiasco's Food and Liquor. In this SOHH.com exclusive, Lupe Touché speaks on his album's leak and his Jay-Z co-sign.

Nearly three months before its official release, Food and Liquor leaked onto the internet. While heads raved about the album's quality, Lupe warned that the CD may get pushed back and contemplated recording an entirely new record. After assessing the situation, the record is still scheduled to hit stores in June.

"When I made the statement about the album being pushed back because of the leak, it was more for the company's sake, what Atlantic might do," Lupe told SOHH.com."When they look at it, as long as an album leaks they'll take time to push it back, especially it being so early...leaking two and a half months before the album comes out. So it was just a statement to make for my fans to set them up, like, 'yo, the album might get pushed back.' But [we] had a meeting... did some damage control and things like that so it's still scheduled for June 27 in the US, June 26 in the UK."

If Lupe's flows don't draw heads in, then the Jay-Z co-sign might. Shortly after courting the Chicago lyricist for his Roc-A-Fella Records, Hov signed on to executive produce his freshman effort. In fact, it's a relationship that has been building since Lupe was signed to Arista Records.

"He'll sit down [and] tell me about the game," said Lupe. "He came up to Arista to meet with [then Arista president and CEO] L.A. Reid to tell him he wanted to come on as an executive producer. That's like the first time they met. And he was like, 'Yo, he [Lupe] reminds me of a young me on the business end, on the artist end.'

"And to get that co-signature from Jay that early, it's just like nobody could say nothing" Lupe added. "No rapper, no producer, nobody could say nothing because of Jay. It's like, 'Yo, he said it. You're trying to get beats on him. And he's saying this. I'm not saying nothing,' so it's real good."

In related news, Lupe is slated to join Rhymefest, The Procussions and Big Daddy Kane for the Brooklyn Hip-Hop Festival on June 24.

Lupe Fiasco's Food and Liquor is slated to hit stores June 27 on 1st and 15th/Atlantic Records.

Source: sohh.com

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X