LL Cool J To Be Honored by ASCAP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LL Cool J To Be Honored by ASCAP

Hip-Hop legend LL Cool J will be honored at the 19th Annual Rhythm & Soul Music Awards, presented by the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP).

The ASCAP Rhythm & Soul Music Awards are being held on June 26 at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Los Angeles, CA. This year's event, which is by invitation only, will recognize the songwriters and publishers of the most performed ASCAP songs on the 2005 R&B, hip-hop and rap charts. The evening will also include performances by several award-winning artists.

LL Cool J, whose real name is James Todd Smith, will receive the ASCAP Golden Note Award, an honor given to songwriters and composers who have achieved extraordinary milestones. The Golden Note has been previously awarded to Sean "Diddy" Combs, Jermaine Dupri, Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis, Jay-Z, Quincy Jones, Tom Petty, Jose Feliciano, Mark Snow and Stevie Wonder among others.

Since 1985 when Def Jam made his album Radio their first release, LL has dropped nine platinum or better selling albums and eight gold singles. His albums Bigger and Deffer, Walking With a Panther, 14 Shots to the Dome, G.O.A.T. and 10 have been the source of such #1 hit singles as "I Need Love," "I'm That Type of Guy," "How I'm Comin'," and "Luv U Better."

His 12th and latest album "Todd Smith" was recently certified gold. LL has already scored two Grammy Awards for singles "Mama Said Knock You Out" and the Boyz II Men duet "Hey Lover" as well as several MTV Video Music Awards, a NAACP Image Award and the Quincy Jones Award for Outstanding Career Achievements during the Soul Train Music Awards.

In addition to his career in music, LL has also enjoyed a successful acting career in both film (Any Given Sunday, DeepBlueSea, Deliver Us from Eva) and television ("In the House") and in 1997 LL authored an autobiography I Make My Own Rules. His most recent venture, upscale clothing line Todd Smith was launched in 2004.

"LL Cool J is one of the most important figures in the history of hip-hop. He has weathered all the trends in the rap world and is as commercially viable today as he was when he started out in 1985," ASCAP President and Chairman Marilyn Bergman said via statement. "We are very pleased to honor LL Cool J by adding his name to the very elite group of our Golden Note-winning songwriters and composers."

R&B great Bill Withers will also be honored at this years ASCAP Rhythm & Soul Music Awards. Responsible for classics such as "Ain't No Sunshine," "Lovely Day," "Just the Two of Us," and "Lean on Me," Withers will receive the ASCAP Rhythm & Soul Heritage Award, which is given to ASCAP members who have had a major impact on the legacy of Rhythm and Soul music. Previous recipients of the Rhythm & Soul Heritage Award include Peabo Bryson, Earth Wind & Fire, Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis, Rick James and Chaka Khan.

The 2006 ASCAP Rhythm and Soul Music Awards will also feature a special presentation to ASCAP's Songwriter of the Year and "Top" awards will be presented for Publisher of the Year, Soundtrack of the Year, Reggae Artist of the Year, Ringtone of the Year, R&B/Hip-Hop Song, Rap Song and Gospel Song.

As SOHH previously reported, ASCAP recently honored 50 Cent and Jermaine Dupri at ASCAP's Pop Music Awards. 50 won Songwriter of the Year and Dupri won Song of the Year for co-writing and producing the Mariah Carey song "We Belong Together."

Source: sohh.com

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X