Lucy Diamonds Says Jay-Z "signed the wrong white chick..."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lucy Diamonds Says Jay-Z "signed the wrong white chick..."

In late April several news outlets released a report that Michael Jackson and 50 Cent had plans to collaborate on a song "Now That I Found Love" with rap newcomer Lucy Diamonds.

It turns out the buzz was just a rumor, but Lucy sat down with SOHH exclusively to talk about the rumors as well as her much anticipated arrival as a white female emcee.

According to reports DJ Whoo Kid met up with Michael Jackson at a dinner in Bahrain. The encounter was closely followed by a press release (which turned out to be a hoax) announcing an impending collaboration between 50, MJ and Lucy Diamonds on Lucy's currently unreleased song "Now That I Found Love."

"It was kinda weird because I didn't even hear about it until after it hit Rolling Stone," Lucy told SOHH exclusively. "MTV hit my camp asking about what was going on with it. Next thing I know I see John Norris on MTV talking about the whole thing. It's not true, and I just want to say that 'Now That I Found Love' is my song. Not Michael Jackson's and not 50's, so if anybody on G-Unit is trying to do it, they can't."

"50 is savvy," Lucy continued, explaining her concern for her song. "If 50 sees an opportunity for press, he's going to take it. He needs to be concerned about the horrible fails of everybody on that label. Mobb Deep, Tony Yayo... and now Mase is on God's bad side. I almost feel sorry for 50 right now."

Asked whether she was worried her comments might raise the ire of G-Unit's general Lucy responded: "It seems like everybody in the industry is on 50's bad side, outside of the people on his label. He can add me to the list. It doesn't phase me."

The 21-year-old from Houston, TX is currently focused on the release of her debut album Poor Dream Redemption, a title she took from one of her poems (she's also currently penning a poetry collection called The Other Side of Something).

The longtime poetess, who was first published at age 12, says hip-hop was a logical progression in her career.

"Hip-Hop is musical poetry," Lucy explained. "I always wanted to do something different with my music. I look at the female emcees that are out and they all pretty much do the same thing, same gangsta image, selling sex. That's not me. I'm more about using hip-hop beats with a musical influence. It's a whole other style of hip-hop fused music. Skill wise every white female MC that's been put out before me has never been good. Lyrically I try to step up and say something and have a message come across."

As part of her message based mission Lucy is currently embroiled in a battle with KFC over their treatment of chickens. The young vegetarian spoke passionately about her currently scheduled plans to rally in the birthplace of KFC, Louisville, KY.

"I am doing a protest rally, as part of my Boycott KFC campaign (www.petaworld.com). It's already supported by Paul McCartney, Pam Anderson, Common, Dead Prez and Russell Simmons. I'm leading rally in Louisville, KY to march on Colonel Sanders' grave," Lucy told SOHH. "Everybody is going to have to be there to see what I mean."

Lucy plans to release Poor Dream Redemption on her Dough Shop label this June.

"I'm working with DJ Roc Raida, Bad Boy artist Aasim, Fatman Scoop, Grand Puba, Scott Michaels -- he is super talented, definitely about to blow up. Knobody, Vinny Idol, Sean C, LV and Slick Rick's producer Vance Wright. I've also partnered up with MC Lyte. I can't say anything until mid June, but we will change hip-hop," Lucy told SOHH.

Lucy also spoke about her relationship with Jay-Z's former female protégé Amil.

"I don't really know what happened, all I can say is we're not doing business anymore. I don't talk to her anymore," Lucy said. "I do rap about it on the album."

Lucy quickly spits the aforementioned lyrics: "Now me and Amil don't speak like her and Hov/ I lost the major coins, moved out and stayed low/ and then I hit the Jiggaman up on his sidekick/ and told him I got the heat/ that he needed to sign it/ he screwed up and signed that chick Lady Sovereign/ but Hov is gonna figure out it's Lucy who is Queen."

"Hov signed the wrong white chick," Lucy tells SOHH. "My lyrics are deep and meaningful. I like to tell stories from different perspectives that will move people. There aren't a whole lot of new artists coming into the game, the superstars of today are the same as 5 years ago - still Jigga, still Em. We've been waiting for the next really big one although The Game has stepped it up too. But there definitely hasn't been a female superstar in awhile."

Diamonds is confident that she is that great white female superstar hip-hop has been waiting for, and is currently in the process of deciding upon her first single. In the meantime she's taking promotional notes from fellow Houston rapper Mike Jones.

"Since I am from Houston and I love talking to people, I'm going to take a note from Mike Jones and throw my number out there -- 404-840-0245," Lucy said. " This way my fans can talk to me directly."

Source: sohh.com

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X