Louis Roederer Cristal Issues Statement Denying Claims Of Racism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Louis Roederer Cristal Issues Statement Denying Claims Of Racism

Louis Roederer Cristal has responded to a massive boycott over statements made about various rappers' patronage of the pricey drink.

In a special Summer 2006 article titled "Bubbles & Bling" in The Economist magazine, the managing director Frederic Rouzaud was quoted in an article stating that he viewed Hip-Hop's obsession with the brand with "curiosity and serenity."

Rouzaud also said "We can't forbid people from buying it. I'm sure Dom Perignon or Krug would be delighted to have their business."

The story caused massive backlash against Cristal, culminating in a boycott of the drink led by Jay-Z, who pulled the expensive drink from his popular 40/40 sports bar franchise.

"I view his comments as racist and will no longer support any of his products through any of my various brands including The 40/40 Club nor in my personal life," Jay-Z said in a statement issued on Wednesday (June 14).

"A house like Louis Roederer would not have existed since 1776 without being totally open and tolerant to all forms of culture and art, including the most recent musical and fashion styles which — like Hip-Hop — keep us in touch with modernity," Louis Roederer Cristal said in a statement.

Cristal imports over 50,000 cases of the champagne annually.

Source: allhiphop.com

Sounds like damage control to me. Maybe they should be more careful with what they say.

Comment

Short Irish Guy thinks that cristal doesn't care about the hip hop market. Well this statement proves that they do. But it is too little too late. They are going to lose a crap load of money. I bet they didn't think this boycott would happen and that's why they popped off at with mouth with that racist comment.

BTW, where you at now short irsh guy? Stop dodging this thread homo!! LOL

Comment

The Hip hop industry made tons of money for Cristal. And now the company is saying hip hop brought "unwanted attention". Why wouldn't a business want attention that equals huge profit. STUPID!!!!!!!

I guess its not about profit to them, or maybe they thought they could get away with making a subliminal racist remark. They think that an old rich White man buying their bottle is prestigious, but an urban person buying their Cristol brings down the name.

F*ck Cristal!!! I'll never buy another bottle again. And if I see a brother drinking it, I'll slap it out of his hand.

Comment

My Opinion

All I will say about this issue is that racism is still here in so many forms that sometimes it can be tricky to see. It was rather obvious to me and every African American I have talked to, that the managing director of Cistal (Frederic Rouzaud) was dancing around how he really felt.

If this was 40 years ago Rouzaud would have came out and said what was really on his mind. But now in this politically correct day and age, people like him find ways to talk about their twisted views without being obvious so they can always protect themselves.

This is just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Stallion
            Short Irish Guy thinks that cristal doesn't care about the hip hop market. Well this statement proves that they do. But it is too little too late. They are going to lose a crap load of money. I bet they didn't think this boycott would happen and that's why they popped off at with mouth with that racist comment.

BTW, where you at now short irsh guy? Stop dodging this thread homo!! LOL

The hop hop sector is a micro niche market compared to the entirety of the Cristal consumer base.

You, child, are a fucking moron. Thanks for showing us! :sleep2:

Comment

owner of krystal is fuckin stupid like all the kkkrakkkers, they still show so much racism you kant help but want to beat the fu¢k outta them ***s. fu¢k krystal!

Comment

Originally posted by Short Irish Guy
                The hop hop sector is a micro niche market compared to the entirety of the Cristal consumer base.

You, child, are a fucking moron. Thanks for showing us! :sleep2:
                If you don't think that Hip hop and people like Jay-Z can hurt Cristal's profits then you are even more dumb than I thought you were. Open your eyes homo.

Thank you for showing the world how dumb you are, inbred.

Comment

If you don't think that Hip hop and people like Jay-Z can hurt Cristal's profits then you are even more dumb than I thought you were. Open your eyes homo.

Thank you for showing the world how dumb you are, inbred.
                  Define "hurt". To me, it'd be like a bug hitting the windshield of a car moving at 100 mph. Rap is the bug and Cristal is the car.

FUcking dumbass. This board should be renamed "Board of Dumbasses". :sleep2:

Comment

Cristal is now backtracking. This proves that they know they messed up.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying High
                      Cristal is now backtracking. This proves that they know they messed up.
                      Nah. They probably feel the same way but a simple letter to the press will quell this little issue. They don't need the negative publicity.

Comment

Nah. They probably feel the same way but a simple letter to the press will quell this little issue. They don't need the negative publicity.
                        That doesn't make any sense. Why would they care about the negative publicity cause by people they don't want drinking their product? The people that they want drinking it, will still drink it.

Cristal is worried about losing money. They didn't realize how powerful hip hop is. Well the loss of money will make this a hard lesson for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Pyro
                          That doesn't make any sense. Why would they care about the negative publicity cause by people they don't want drinking their product? The people that they want drinking it, will still drink it.

Cristal is worried about losing money. They didn't realize how powerful hip hop is. Well the loss of money will make this a hard lesson for them.
                          Jesus christ, kid - you're so fucking stupid. HIP HOP DOES NOT REGISTER ON THE CRISTAL RADAR. THEY HAVE NO BEARING ON THE COMPANY'S PERFORMANCE. That being said, issuing the apology will make the situation go away. Point is - no one wants to be associated with poor rabble...like you.

Comment

Jesus christ, kid - you're so fucking stupid. HIP HOP DOES NOT REGISTER ON THE CRISTAL RADAR. THEY HAVE NO BEARING ON THE COMPANY'S PERFORMANCE. That being said, issuing the apology will make the situation go away. Point is - no one wants to be associated with poor rabble...like you.
                            You lack IQ points, that is apparent in this debate. Last time I checked the hip-hop culture was a multi-million dollar business.

Comment

You lack IQ points, that is apparent in this debate. Last time I checked the hip-hop culture was a multi-million dollar business.
                              I have an IQ of 168, shitdick. How many people in the hip hop culture, where the average hip hop music buyer is in the middle class income bracket or lower, can regularly afford enough Cristal to make a dent in the company's margin?

Maybe .0000000000000001%.

You're still a fucking moron. Dumbass.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X