Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Obie Trice Preps Sophomore Album Without Eminem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obie Trice Preps Sophomore Album Without Eminem?

Eminem protégé Obie Trice is prepping to shake off any idea of a sophomore jinx with his second album, titled Second Round's On Me.

The Detroit rapper has been hard at work in between joining Em on his Anger Management Tour. And unlike his debut album, Cheers, Obie is now taking matters into his own hands, without Em's tutelage.

"I did this album myself as opposed to Em just being right next to me like he was on Cheers,” said Obie in a released statement. "I did it at my studio, brought it to him and that's how we got it done. It felt good."

The Shady Records artist stepped into the executive producer role, overseeing the entire project, bringing in some of hip-hop's best for production, including Eminem, Jonathan "J.R." Rotem, Akon and 9th Wonder, among others.

That's not the only thing different for Obie this time. No, he's also grown lyrically. Not only will the new album include the humor and bravado of his debut, but he also touches on more serious topics.

"If they are expecting Cheers, they are not gonna get it," explained Obie. "I developed lyrically. I'm talking about a lot of things that are important in the black community. It shows my growth as an artist and as a person."

Much like Jay-Z does on the regular, Obie opted to recite his rhymes on the spot, instead of writing anything down. "I would say eight bars, and then I would listen to the beat and then punch in the next eight bars," said the rapper. "When I heard the music, I was ready to go. I did not want to sit down and write on paper. I would get an idea and want to say it at that moment."

Last summer, Obie gave fans a taste of what was to come when he leaked the rock-fueled "Wanna Know," which samples rock band Van Halen. The song was features on the hit HBO series "Entourage."

Next was the album's official first single, "Snitch," which feature R&B crooner Akon.

Second Round's On Me is slated for release August 15, and features eight tracks produced by Eminem. Guest appearances include Akon, Nate Dogg, Eminem, Trey Songz, Trick Trick and 50 Cent, to name a few.

Below is the final tracklist, according to a label spokesperson:

"Intro"
    "Wake Up"
    "Violent"
    "Wanna Know"
    "Lay Down"
    "Snitch"
    "Cry Now"
    "Ballad Of Obie Trice
    "Jamaican Girl"
    "Kill Me A Mutha"
    "Out Of State"