Dame Dash Focuses on Film, Links With Robert DeNiro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dame Dash Focuses on Film, Links With Robert DeNiro

Continuing his endeavors in the movie business, entertainment mogul Damon Dash currently has three film projects in development.

In the past few years Dash has gained some valuable filmmaking experience, having executive produced 2004's controversial Kevin Bacon drama The Woodsman as well as this year's Shadowboxer, starring Cuba Gooding Jr. He's now looking to begin three new projects, all set in his native New York.

Dash's first project, a drama based on the life of Larry Davis, would be made along with Universal Pictures and Tribeca Productions partners Jane Rosenthal and Robert DeNiro. In 1986 a 19-year-old Davis shot and wounded six NYPD officers before escaping despite a gunshot wound to the head. After a 17 day manhunt Davis turned himself in to the FBI on the condition that they investigate local police corruption.

"In urban culture, Larry Davis is something of a legend," Dash told Daily Variety.

The second project Dash has in development is a fact-based film about a female fight club, where women battle each other in a makeshift ring for cash, set in the basement of a home in Brownsville, Brooklyn.

Dash is also exploring the possibility of portraying the life story of mobster Joe Stassi, once a go-between for Meyer Lansky and Lucky Luciano. According to reports, Dash is hoping to use a Stassi documentary made by filmmakers Marc Levin and Richard Stratton as the basis for a feature, and is currently in talks with producer Henry Winterstern of First Look Studios

"When I first got to Hollywood while focusing on music and the other businesses, I got a taste of independent films and built up a decent body of work," Dash told Variety. "I'd like to hit my stride now with movies that have social relevance to the urban and New York experience."

Source: sohh.com

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X