Diddy's Name Causes Legal Beef In The UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diddy's Name Causes Legal Beef In The UK

Sean Combs has agreed to drop his Diddy moniker in the UK as part of an out of court settlement with English music producer Richard "Diddy" Dearlove.

According to Jens Hills & Co., the law firm representing Dearlove, Combs agreed to "rebrand his commercial activities" in the UK and will ""no longer be able to trade in the U.K. as 'Diddy.'" Combs' attorney, Nigel Calvert, couldn't be reached for comment. Combs, formerly known as P. Diddy, dropped the P from his stage name last year. He was previously known as Puff Daddy, but changed his name to P. Diddy back in 2001.

Dearlove filed a suit for unfair competition, alleging that Combs' moniker change resulted in confusion. The case was slated to hit court in October. Dearlove made his mark by producing a 1990's dance remix of Blondie's "Atomic."

"I started getting e-mails from Puerto Rican girls asking if they could be in my video and people were asking me to look at their clothing line," Dearlove told The Guardian newspaper.

As part of the settlement, Diddy agreed to pay the British musician's legal fees and "significant" damages. There's no word on what name Combs will now go by in the UK.

Diddy has been hard at work prepping the release of his next solo album, Press Play. The album will feature guest spots by Nas, Fergie, Jamie Foxx and production by Kanye West, Pharrell Williams and Just Blaze.

Source: sohh.com

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X