Dave Mays & Benzino's New Mag Launches In October

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave Mays & Benzino's New Mag Launches In October

Dave Mays and Raymond "Benzino" Scott are hoping for a comeback. The duo and a team of notable voices in hip-hop are preparing for the October 16th release of the first issue of Hip Hop Weekly, their new weekly hip-hop publication.

Mays and Scott have teamed with former VIBE Editor-in-Chief Mimi Valdés to create an entirely new magazine. Hip Hop Weekly has been billed as the world's first weekly entertainment news & celebrity lifestyle publication for readers who identify with hip-hop culture. Covering film,TV, music, fashion, sports and celebrity news, the magazine will also include weekly columns from radio personalities Wendy Williams and Star & Buc Wild.

"This is a great day for our team up at Hip-Hop Weekly and for hip-hop as a whole," Ray Benzino, Chief Brand Executive of Hip Hop Global Media, the holding company that is backing the launch of Hip-Hop Weekly, said via statement. "I want the readers to know that they can expect something incredible. It only makes sense, considering that between myself, Dave, Mimi, Wendy and Star, the years of experience we have -- stretching from the street side to the corporate side to magazines to radio to TV -- is incomparable. We will continue to give the people what they desire, and that's the realness, which they will now be able to get every week in our new magazine."

In 1988 Mays and Scott launched The Source magazine from Mays' HarvardUniversity dorm room. Touted as the first publication written specifically for a hip-hop audience, and considered by some to be the "Hip-Hop Bible," Mays and Scott controlled The Source for over a decade before falling prey to controversy over editorial coverage issues as well as legal and financial woes. In January of 2006 the Mays and Scott were pushed out of their positions at The Source by the magazine's new board of directors.

"I am extremely proud to be breaking new ground with the launch of Hip Hop Weekly," David Mays, CEO of Hip Hop Global Media said, also via statement. "Hip-Hop culture and its celebrities are making news every day, so there is a need for a magazine that can keep up with the much faster pace of news and information flow in the multi-media, internet-driven world that we are living in today. Hip Hop Weekly's innovative format coincides with the evolving nature of advertising, which is rapidly moving toward a quicker, constantly changing, and more creative approach. Hip Hop Weekly is simply a more timely and more engaging way to serve today's hip-hop consumer."

Mimi Valdés, former Editor-in-Chief of VIBE and VIBE Vixen will join Hip Hop Weekly as Executive Vice President, Editor-In-Chief and co-owner of the magazine.

Source: sohh.com

Like I said b4, the new mag wont have the "secret weapon" to it that The Source had...oh well. I wish those two the best. When's that new Zino album coming out! ARCHNEMESIS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>enkkkore

and thats the way it is

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X