Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Gangbanging Is Not A Lifestyle, It's A Deathstyle," Says Former Blood In HBO Documentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Gangbanging Is Not A Lifestyle, It's A Deathstyle," Says Former Blood In HBO Documentary

HBO, along with Training Day director Antoine Fuqua, will premiere the new documentary Bastards Of The Party which explores the origins of the notorious Bloods and Crips street gangs.

The film, which is set to air exclusively on HBO on Tuesday, February 6 at 10 p.m. EST, is directed by former Bloods member and actor Cle "Bone" Sloan and produced by Training Day director Antoine Fuqua. Sloan, who is in his directorial debut, began researching the subject matter shortly after the riots following the Rodney King verdict in 1992. The film's title was taken from a passage in the book City Of Quartz, in which the author, Mike Davis, describes black street gangs as being "the bastard offspring of the political parties of the 60's".

In the documentary, Sloan attempts to trace the beginnings of the black gang culture in Los Angeles from as early as the 1940's and explores the reasons for its growth into what it has become today.

"I wondered how we ended up killing each other," he says. "I discovered that we came from a revolutionary background. Being one of the guys who helped destroy most of my community, who participated in self-genocide, I want to bring some clarity to why some of these things happened."

The film features interviews with current and former members of both the Crips and Bloods street gangs as well as former Black Panther Geronimo Pratt and Los Angeles historian Mike Davis, whose book served as Sloan's inspiration for the project. The project also explores the possible role that organizations such as the LAPD played in the growth of the gang lifestyle in Los Angeles.

Click the link to watch an exclusive clip from the movie.

Source: sohh.com

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X