Benzino Found Not Guilty On Federal Tax Charges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benzino Found Not Guilty On Federal Tax Charges

Former Source owner, Raymond "Benzino" Scott was recently found not guilty on two counts of failing to file tax returns.

Scott faced up to a year in jail on each of the two counts if convicted. But on Thursday (March 1), at Moakley Federal Courthouse in Boston, the jury reached a verdict of not guilty.

"I am very happy to be exonerated and that the judicial system worked," said Scott. The Boston-bred rapper, and former owner of The Source magazine, also feels that his legal victory is substantial because he was found innocent of both charges by an all-white jury.

"This is a case that broke through race barriers, considering there were 12 white jurors, and also broke through hip-hop barriers, because I was sitting there as a representative of hip-hop with my braids and my songs all coming into play."

Scott was represented in the case by Miami, FL based attorney, Leonard Sands, and noted Massachusetts-based criminal attorney Martin Leppo. Sands was recently named one of the top lawyers in criminal law by the South Florida legal guide.

"I want to thank my attorneys Leonard and Marty and the 12 jurors sitting," Scott said. "It makes me think of a lot of other guys that have been trapped by the judicial system. I encourage anyone out there who has legal issues to get involved with your lawyer. I was very much involved from day one in my case. I was offered to do time before I brought it to trial, but I fought and I won. I'm a fighter, I'm always gonna be a fighter."

This is only the latest in Benzino's legal issues in recent months. As previously reported by SOHH, former Source editor-in-chief Kim Osorio won an $8 million judgement against Benzino, Dave Mays and The Source magazine in Manhattan district court this past October.

Since being ousted from his former magazine, Benzino has started a new publication, Hip Hop Weekly, which is currently on sale nationally at supermarkets, bookstores and convenient stores.

Source: sohh.com

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X