No announcement yet.

Kanye West & Jennifer Hudson Add "Heat" To Dwayne Wade's HS Charity Celebration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kanye West & Jennifer Hudson Add "Heat" To Dwayne Wade's HS Charity Celebration

Chicago bred rapper Kanye West performed yesterday (March 19) at an Oak Lawn, Illinois' High School to help students celebrate renovations to the school's gym and a scholarship program presented by NBA Miami Heat guard Dwayne Wade.

West, who performed for 1,700 H.L. Richards High students, was introduced to the stage by fellow Chicago native Jennifer Hudson, who also made an appearance to show support.

Wade, who is also a Chicago native and a Richards alumnus, attended the event via satellite. The star athlete and T-Mobile Sidekick partnered up to donate upgrades to the school gym, including a new, high-tech scoreboard, 200-inch projection screen, and state-of-the-art sound system.

During the summer, the gym's will be redone and the hardwood floors will be refinished and repainted. The new basketball court will then be renamed the "D-Wade Court".

"It's important to me to give back to the communities I grew up in," explained Wade via a statement. "I've received a lot of opportunities in my life, and I'm grateful for T-Mobile Sidekick's help in making my dream of giving back to Richards High a reality."

The Wade's World Foundation and T-Mobile Sidekick also presented the T-Mobile Huddle Up academic grant, a $5,000 scholarship to a deserving RichardsHigh School senior who demonstrates a commitment to both athletic and academic achievements, as well as to his or her school, peers and community.

Oak Lawn mayor, David Heilmann, commemorated the day by declaring it "Dwayne Wade Day," and prestend a plaque that was accepted by Dwayne's wife and mother, Siohvaughn and Jolinda Wade, who attended the event in behalf of the Miami Heat star.

"This was truly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for us," said Ross Cucio, principal of H.L. Richards. "We are proud to have an alum like Dwayne Wade, who sets such an example of character and class for the students of Richards High School, honor us with the restoration of our gym."

Source: sohh.com

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X