All Eyez On Me - Album of the Decade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Eyez On Me - Album of the Decade

The British radio DJ and television show host Trevor Nelson recently presented The Rhythm Nation - The Top 50 Albums Of The Decade (1993-2003). Tupac's 9X platinum double LP, All Eyez On Me, topped the list. The list is as follows:

01. 2PAC - All Eyez On Me (1996)
    On his prison release, Tupac signed to Suge Knight's Death Row Records. Massive tracks followed including "California Love" and "I Ain't Mad At Cha."

02. Lauryn Hill - Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill (1998)
    We wondered whether she could beat the sounds of The Fugees and then Lauryn Hill went on to amaze with her debut album. Winner of 5 Grammy Awards.

03. Dr Dre - 2001 (1999)
    As well as crafting compelling cuts for the likes of Snoop Dogg and Eminem, Dre dropped two of the most acknowledged hip-hop albums of all time. 2001 featured "Still D.R.E." and "Forgot About Dre."

04. Justin Timberlake - Justified (2002)
    If you leave a band to go solo its daunting enough. Add in crossing genres from pop to R&B - with Justified JT made the move successfully... all be it with Jacko's influence and strong Neptunes input.

05. 50 Cent - Get Rich Or Die Tryin' (2003)
    Hailing from the streets of New York he was infamously shot nine times before Eminem signed him. The smash hit single "In Da Club" took 50 to phenomenal success - he has sold over eight million albums.

06. TLC - CrazySexyCool (1994)
    The biggest selling female trio. CrazySexyCool was TLC's master piece - classic songs "Waterfalls" and "Creep" crossed over into the mainstream.

07. Alicia Keys - Songs In A Minor (2001)
    Being spotted by the man who signed Aretha and Whitney may have weighed some artists down not Ms. Keys. This debut set sold over 7 million worldwide and won 5 Grammys.

08. The Fugees - The Score (1996)
    2nd album from the New Jersey trio, breaking away from the gansta rap of the mid 90's fusing rap, R&B and reggae. "Killing Me Softly" and "Ready Or Not" were massive hits worldwide.

09. Mariah Carey - Butterfly (1997)
    Some claimed that this was Mariah declaring independence from ex-husband and label boss Tommy Mattola. Much of it is devoted to ballads like "My All," except the Puff Daddy produced track "Honey."

10. Usher - 8701 (2001)
    Grammy award winning 3rd album from Atlanta born singer Usher Raymond, production teams on the project included The Neptunes and Jam & Lewis.

11. Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP (2000)
    "Stan," "The Way I Am," "Real Slim Shady"... just some of the reasons - along with the ballistic beats of Dr. Dre, why this man has become the name in pop and hip-hop globally, love him or loathe him.

12. Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle (1993)
    Until 50 Cent's Get Rich Or Die Tryin' this was the biggest selling debut rap album, hit singles include "What's My Name?" and "Gin 'N' Juice."

13. Aaliyah - Aaliyah (2001)
    Her 3rd album was the last complete studio set before her untimely death in a plane crash. Selections such as "We Need A Resolution" and "More Than a Woman," honed as usual by Timbaland production.

14. Destiny's Child - The Writings On The Wall (1999)
    The original four girl line up, with assured singing and catchy chorus lines, made an album to please pop people and purists. "Bills, Bills, Bills," "Bug A Boo" and "Say My Name" did the business by night and day.

15. Craig David - Born To Do It (2000)
    Having established a foothold on the music scene via his UK Garage material, Craig went onto to unveil an album that shifted over seven million copies and delivered huge singles like "7 Days" and "Fill Me In."

16. Jay-Z - The Blueprint (2001)
    Regarded by many as his best album to date, The Blueprint rackeds up Jay-Z's sixth platinum album with hit singles "Girls Girls Girls", and "Takeover."

17. TLC - Fanmail (1999)
    The pressure was on to deliver after success of CrazySexyCool. Featured R&B anthems "No Scrubs" and "Unpretty" and strong videos too.

18. Eminem - The Eminem Show (2002)
    Now more than a mere artist, a media phenomenon. "Lose Yourself" and "Cleanin Out My Closet" showed he still had his eye on the music.

19. Nas - Illmatic (1994)
    Along with fellow East coast rappers Wu-Tang Clan and B.I.G. - Nasir Jones is seen as a main cog during a golden age for East Coast rap music. Check likes of "It Ain't Hard To Tell" and "The World Is Yours."

20. Aaliyah - One In A Million (1996)
    With her debut "Age Ain't Nothing But A Number," Aaliyah stamped her mark on the R&B scene as a major talent. Here she cemented that impression on cuts like "One In A Million" and "If Your Girl Only Knew."

21. Whitney Houston - My Love is Your Love (1998)
    One of the biggest pop stars of all time, Whitney has been making hit records since the early 80's. She returned after an eight year break with this set featuring "It's Not Right But It's Okay" and "Heartbreak Hotel."

22. Beyoncé - Dangerously In Love (2003)
    Leaving Destiny's Child to one side, Beyoncé shows why she is the star of the trio. It includes sexy collaborations with Sean Paul and Jay-Z from the new school and Luther Vandross from the old school.

23. The Notorious B.I.G - Ready To Die (1994)
    Sean "Puffy" Combs signed Christopher Wallace to the newly formed Bad Boy Records, Ready To Die went multi-platinum and put East Coast rap back on the map.

24. The Notorious B.I.G - Life After Death (1997)
    Released on the 25th March 1997 two weeks after his death in LA, Life After Death is one of the biggest selling rap albums of all time. Leaving B.I.G as a legend of the rap game.

25. N.E.R.D. - In Search Of... (2002)
    One of the hottest production teams, Chad and Pharrell donned their No One Ever Really Dies personna to combine styles on this set. Innovative and interesting take on the hip-hop/R&B soundscape.

26. Boyz II Men - II (1994)
    Massive sales for this and the preceeding album (20 million in the USA) mean they go down in R&B and mainstream chart history. II featured "I'll Make Love To You," "On Bended Knee" and "Water Runs Dry."

27. Sean Paul - Dutty Rock (2002)
    Argubly the most succesful dancehall reggae act to cross over into the mainstream arena, Dutty Rock has sold over three million units worldwide. Hit singles "Gimme The Light," "Get Busy" and "Like Glue."

28. Jill Scott - Who Is Jill Scott? (2000)
    The question was answered in fine style on Philly singer/songwriter's debut. Strong from start to finish with standouts like "Slowly Surely," "A Long Walk," "Getting In The Way" and "He Loves Me."

29. Erykah Badu - Baduizm (1997)
    If D'Angelo helped develop a new style for R&B/soul, Erykah Badu made an equally strong contribution to the neo-soul sound. An album to chill to - old school soul mixed with jazz.

30. Janet Jackson - Velvet Rope (1997)
    Many artists would struggle to follow in the footsteps of megastar siblings, but Janet has secured superstar status in her own right. Her sixth album debuted at number one with hits galore.

31. D'Angelo - Brown Sugar (1995)
    Responsible not only for this superb debut album, but also the rebirth of soul/RnB as neo soul. Straddled the ground between Marvin Gaye and Prince on tunes like "Brown Sugar," "Lady" and "Crusin'."

32. R. Kelly - R (1998)
    Hugely successful double album which went multi platinum. The single "Believe I Can Fly" earned him a Grammy award and became a wedding anthem!

33. Destiny's Child - Survivor (2001)
    The "Independent Women" single from this set, could be said to perfectly sum up the female psyche of the time. Title track and "Emotions" continued chart domination for the now trio of Texans.

34. Ms. Dynamite - A Little Deeper (2002)
    A Little Deeper... just that. Proving there is more to Dynamite than MCing on singles like "It Takes More" and "Dy-Na-Mi-Tee."

35. Blackstreet - Blackstreet (1994)
    Acknowledged as the originator of "swingbeat," Teddy Riley linked that style with a more R&B group feel. They blended vocal harmonies to create a 'swingsoul' sound on cuts like "U Blow My Mind" and "Joy."

36. R. Kelly - Chocolate Factory (2003)
    Latest offering which topped the Billboard album charts early in 2003, the single "Ignition (Remix)" stayed at number 1 on the UK charts for several weeks.

37. Missy Elliot - Under Construction (2002)
    With Timbaland behind the boards once again, Missy's midas touch continues. Singles include "Work It" and "Gossip Folks."

38. Outkast - Stankonia (2000)
    Wacky duo hailing from Atlanta, Georgia. They saw their 4th studio album catapult them into the mainstream thanks to the multi-award winning single "Ms. Jackson" and "So Fresh So Clean."

39. India Aire - Acoustic Soul (2001)
    Atlanta soul scene has produced several significant names, none more so than Aire. She struck a chord with her meaningful lyrics and strong but uncomplicated melodies on tracks like "Brown Skin" and "Video."

40. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders (1993)
    Their third album, Midnight Marauders, offered up arguably the best illustration of their "message" style hip-hop musings, via tracks like "Award Tour," "Sucka *****" and "Electric Relaxation."

41. Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt (1996)
    The first instalment in what proves to be the finest East Coast rap debut album since B.I.G.'s Ready To Die set . Major hits with "Can't Knock The Hustle" and "Brooklyn's Finest."

42. Missy Elliot - So Addictive (2001)
    The lead single from this album "Get Ur Freak On" inspired other hip-hop producers to use beats from other forms of music around the world.

43. Maxwell - Urban Hang Suite (1996)
    Along with D'Angelo and Erykah Badu many urban music fans feel that Maxwell co-created the term neo classic soul with this album.

44. Ja Rule - Pain is Love (2001)
    The Murder Inc. main man dominated the charts with this 3rd album. Filled with hits that included "Always On Time," "Livin' It Up" and "I'm Real."

45. Ashanti - Ashanti (2002)
    After being guest vocalist for Fat Joe's "What's Luv?" and Ja Rule's "Always On Time," her own album debut carried her on the Murder Inc. wave of success. Mainstream charts loved "Foolish," "Happy" and "Baby."

46. Jodeci - Diary Of A Mad Band (1993)
    K-Ci & JoJo and the crew elegantly combined swingbeat and sweet soul on their 2nd release. Highlights like "Cry For You," "My Heart Belongs To You" and "Feenin."

47. Joe - All That I Am (1997)
    The sophomore album from the East Coast crooner contained "All The Things Your Man Wont Do," "Good Girls" and "Don't Wanna Be A Player."

48. Lucy Pearl - Lucy Pearl (2000)
    A group made up of ex members from En Vogue, Toni! Tony! Toné! and A Tribe Called Quest released their only album packed with quality like "Don't Mess With My Man," and "Everyday."

49. Common - Like Water For Chocolate (2000)
    An album that combined mellow hip-hop with jazz, soul and afrobeat flavours to universal acclaim. "The Light," "The 6th Sense" and "Time Travellin'" strong examples of the varied styles presented.

50. Mary J. Blige - My Life (1994)
    Hit the spot for many with its true to life outpourings. With Sean "Puffy" Combs on production duties, it established her as the Queen of hip-hop soul. Strong cuts included "My Life," "Be Happy" and "Going Down."

Source: The Rhythm Nation

The eminem show in front of Illmatic? LOL BULL SHIT. Illmatic should at least be in the top 3.

Comment

Nas, is some trash. Coming out with Thief's Theme. Eminem is a top dominate person in the business. His whole label mates are at top in the industry. Like g-unit, Dre, D12, him, Xzibit, and now Ice Cube (single from Westside Connection) is signed to Aftermath. While with his group he is also with that label as well. So they're doing it big in the industry. Unlike Nas.

Comment

Nasty Nas

Originally posted by Bishops
        Nas, is some trash. Coming out with Thief's Theme. Eminem is a top dominate person in the business. His whole label mates are at top in the industry. Like g-unit, Dre, D12, him, Xzibit, and now Ice Cube (single from Westside Connection) is signed to Aftermath. While with his group he is also with that label as well. So they're doing it big in the industry. Unlike Nas.
        What Nas is doing now isn't the topic. The topic is Illmatic. Have you even listened to Illmatic?? Even if you don't like Nas' shit now, you have to realize how sick Illmatic is. It is better than anything eminem has ever put together PERIOD.

Comment

trust me I had illmatic. It was hot but only cuz its hot with its beef with Jay z. But i ain't no eminem fanatic but his was better Regardless.

Comment

Nas > Eminem

Originally posted by Bishops
            trust me I had illmatic. It was hot but only cuz its hot with its beef with Jay z. But i ain't no eminem fanatic but his was better Regardless.
            LOL that makes no sense what so ever. When Illmatic dropped Nas didn't have beef with Jay-z. Plus when Illmatic dropped it brought the hype back to the East coast.

You're entitled to your opinion I guess, but I'd rather listen to illmatic, it was written, I am, and Stillmatic, then anything from eminem.

Comment

You guys are talking about rap music, correct?

Comment

Iyight, Sodomy your right. I'm thinking of Stillmatic. My bad. But now that I know what ya talking bout u got a point. My bad. Illmatic was a hard cd. I was thinking of Stillmatic. But I agree Illmatic was harder than Eminem's Cd in 2002.

Comment

You both is nuts, aint no Emcee out better than Eminem, period!
                  Hes mastered the art of word play, and his syllables is crazzzy.
                  Nas cd illmatic should be in the top 10 tho,
                  but as far as greatest MC, it should be without a doubt Em.
                  I mean cmon The Way I Am, the cat never fails once to be on beat

Nas is good
                  But you gotta seperate good from great

Comment

Originally posted by Harmon
                    Silly, kids. No one can touch Rakim, Kool Moe Dee, or Big Daddy Kane. Rakim was and still is the shit

Comment

Nas is good
                      Lol, I feel ya on that. But in my case I think Illmatic had it made. Cuz when it first came out it had some hard shit on it. An then Eminem's joint came out. But me choosing Illmatic is because it was the second hardest shit I heard next to Pac. But really it's a hard decision to make out between the two. There both great cd's so..... Let it be that now, I'm just undecidable. I'll leave it at that. Lol.

Comment

Nas

Nas is good
                        Eminem bit the hook from The Way I am, from Rakim. Eminem is good but he has yet to drop a classic album. Nothing he has put out even comes close to illmatic. Nas pretty much is my favorate living artist right now. Him and Ras Kass are two of the sickest spitters out there.

But it all comes down to taste, some people feel Eminem more, some dont. I'm personally feeling Nas more, I think he's the best right now. IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Short Irish Guy
                          Rakim was and still is the shit
                          I can't argue with that...

Comment

yeah pretty much mcbain said it

it comes down to taste, an what u like

never really listened to RAKIM
                            grew up with no-limit and cash money

still dont think nas could take eminem tho
                            but opinions are like assholes everyone has one

Comment