Congressional doctor explains Bachmann migraines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congressional doctor explains Bachmann migraines

Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann released a letter from her physician Wednesday to further explain her migraine headaches. It was first revealed she suffers from migraines Tuesday.

The Attending Physician of the United States Congress, Dr. Brian Monahan, said the Minnesota Congresswoman is in "overall in good general health."

"Your migraines occur infrequently and have known trigger factors of which you are aware and know how to avoid," Dr. Monahan wrote.

The doctor noted evaluations have included "detailed labwork and brain scans all of which are normal." She is prescribed sumatriptan and odansetron to control the migraines on an as-needed basis, Dr. Monahan wrote. He said she does not take daily medications to manage the headaches.

After a report in the Daily Caller, Bachmann said Tuesday she treats her migraines with medicine as needed and emphasized the rigorous pace of her campaign schedule since she entered the 2012 race.

"I'm prescribed medication that I take on occasion whenever symptoms arise and they keep my migraines under control, but I'd like to be abundantly clear, my ability to function effectively … will not affect my ability to serve as commander in chief," Bachmann said.

"Like millions of Americans, Congresswoman Bachmann suffers with migraines and they are under control when treated with medication," campaign press secretary Alice Stewart told CNN.

Former Bachmann staffers spoke anonymously to the Daily Caller regarding Bachmann's episodes and whether they could impact her bid for the White House. Some former Bachmann staffers have left the congresswoman's office on anything but good terms, and it's not clear if those speaking anonymously to the Daily Caller have an agenda in speaking out against her.

Source: CNN

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X