Gunman identified in Hollywood shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gunman identified in Hollywood shooting

Authorities on Saturday identified a gunman killed by police after he opened fire at passing vehicles along a downtown street in Hollywood, California.

Tyler Brehm, 26, was killed Friday in a surreal scene captured on amateur video.

The video shows Brehm walking down Sunset Boulevard, wielding a handgun and firing at vehicles, seemingly at random.

Christopher Johns filmed the scene from his apartment window and can be heard shouting at Brehm throughout.

"Why don't you come up here?" he yelled, later describing that he intended to distract the gunman.

"If people down there at point-blank range to the shooter were going to get shot, they were helpless to avoid being killed," Johns told CNN. "Me, I'm four stories up. If I can take any of his attention and divert it towards me ... I would have an opportunity to get out of the way."

"I'm screaming anything I can" in an effort to disrupt the shooting, Johns said.

At one point, Brehm spoke with Johns, asking him for ammunition and to call an ambulance.

Three people were injured during Friday's incident, including one man in silver Mercedes-Benz sedan who was shot multiple times, according to a police statement released Saturday.

The current status of the man is unknown.

"A car drove by and he just shot right into the car," Amy Torgeson told CNN affiliate KABC. "He was just shooting everywhere."

Torgeson said vehicles began "swerving and braking," and she sought cover at a nearby bank.

Brehm was later shot and killed after being confronted by a plainclothes police detective and an off-duty police officer working on a nearby movie set.

The gunman pointed his weapon at one of the officers before he was shot, according to the police statement.

He died at a nearby hospital, the statement said.

Investigators are trying to determine what prompted the incident.

Source: CNN

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X